Inspired by the 2015 AGM lecture, given by our Patron, The Honourable Dr Penelope Wensley AC, the Executive Committee of Alumni Friends approved proposals from the Golden Jubilee Celebrations Committee for celebrations during the 2017-18 anniversary year. The objectives were to create a program of activity which:
- attracts positive attention (and possibly even new members), raising the profile of Alumni Friends;
- raises sufficient funds to ensure that at least fifty $1,000 bursaries are presented to The University of Queensland (UQ) students in 2017 (i.e. is cost-effective & raises money);
- creates a vehicle/focal point to attract, record and share memories of the first 50 years of Alumni Friends’ connections with the University;
- encourages the recognition of the service and philanthropy of Alumni Friends—not only at a Senate/Senior Executive/Faculty level, but also by the different UQ Schools, Institutes, and organisations which have benefited from the financial and personal support of Alumni Friends;
- ensures that suitable functions and events are held in the Anniversary year which celebrate (and honour) the contribution of Alumni Friends (individuals and the organisation as a whole);
- minimises the organisational load—integrating with the existing annual calendar, and encouraging the organisation of events by Faculty and School personnel;
- is as inclusive as possible, with an emphasis on a University-wide program; and, in particular…
- is appropriate to the vision, mission and objectives of the Association—that is, to connect engaged alumni and friends to support the endeavours of the ‘future alumni,’ educators and researchers of UQ.
A copy of the final report on the 2017-18 Golden Jubilee Program was tabled at the May 2018 AGM, and is available here.