Celebrating our ‘first fifty years’, 2017 includes a program of events and activities which are designed to celebrate the different aspects of the relationship between Alumni Friends and The University of Queensland.
Upcoming events are included in our calendar, which is regularly updated. The full program is also summarised here:
- Senate Function (Alumni Court, 27 February 2017): “Recognising and celebrating the valuable contribution of Alumni Friends of the University of Queensland,” the University Senate hosted an afternoon tea in the St Lucia Campus Alumni Court. Following speeches by Peter Varghese AO (Chancellor, The University of Queensland) and by The Honorable Dr Penelope Wensley AC (Patron, Alumni Friends), a commemorative plaque was unveiled by Peter Varghese AO, The Honorable Dr Penelope Wensley AC, and by Professor Peter Høj (Vice-Chancellor and President, The University of Queensland). Invited guests included a number of Foundation Members and Past Presidents of Alumni Friends.
- ‘Philanthropists and Collections‘ UQ Art Museum Special Exhibition (on display from 11 March – 4 June 2017):
- Special Preview (11 March 2017, 2pm)
- Official Opening (11 March 2017, 330pm)
- Panel Discussion “In Conversation: Art and Philanthropy(Thursday 23 March 2017, 11am)
- White Gloves Talk (by invitation only): 3 May 2017.
- School of Music Performance: 7 May 2017, 11am.
- Alumni Friends UQ Alumni Book Fair Rare Book Auction (catalogue here), Official Opening by Professor Peter Høj (Vice-Chancellor and President, The University of Queensland) : Friday, 21 April 2017 (630 p.m, The Playhouse Women’s College Sir William MacGregor Drive, St Lucia).
- Alumni Friends’ UQ Alumni Book Fair®: Saturday 22 April 2017 to Wednesday 26 April 2017 (UQ Centre, St Lucia campus).
- Alumni Friends’ 51st AGM (13th May 2017, 930am): Special Guest and Speaker Peter Varghese AO, Chancellor, The University of Queensland (Women’s College Sir William MacGregor Drive, St Lucia).
- Alumni Friends Golden Jubilee Great Court Race : 24 May 2017
- Alumni Friends Golden Jubilee Gala Lunch, 15 July 2017 (EARLY BIRD Booking form available here): A celebratory lunch, with our special guest, David Malouf AO, ‘in conversation’ with Madonna King (David Malouf AO was the 1992 Inaugural UQ Alumnus of the Year. Canapés and welcome drink 12:30pm, Lunch served from 1.00pm, Women’s College, St Lucia).
- Betty Fletcher Presentation: A Special Friends of Antiquity Sunday Series Lecture Program Event (2pm, Sunday, 13 August 2017), reflecting on donations by Betty Fletcher to the R.D. Milns Antiquities Museum and an update on the Summer Scholar research into Recipients of the Betty Fletcher Memorial Travelling Scholarship (Scholarship established by Friends of Antiquity).
- Courting the Greats: 11 October 2017 (5:30pm for a 6:00pm start. Great Court, St Lucia Campus). RSVP essential (details available nearer the time).
- Alumni Friends Golden Jubilee QPAC Concert ‘Ode to Joy’ (School of Music ): Sunday, 15 October 2017
- R D Milns Antiquities Museum Special Exhibition: Opening 27 October 2017 (530pm for 6pm, R D Milns Antiquities Museum)
- Investing and Giving Back: Presentations of the fifty special Golden Jubilee $1,000 student bursaries (to current UQ students) to take place during 2017/18.